"116th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment Attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps"
"The monument to the 116th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. (39.79753° N, 77.24588° W; map)"
"About the monument to the 116th Pennsylvania: The monument was erected in 1888 and dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania on on September 11, 1889. It is a nine foot wide granite sephulchre supporting the sculpture of a fallen soldier lying next to a stone wall. The soldier was probably modelled after Sergeant Charles Gardner of the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry, who Major Mulholland's adjutant sketched after finding the sergeant lying dead on the field with a peaceful smile on his face."
"The 116th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg: The 116th was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major St. Clair A. Mulholland, a Philadelphia painter born in County Antrim, Ireland. Mulholland was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May of 1863."
"By the time of the Battle of Gettysburg the regiment was reduced to a battalion of four companies. Company B was detached during the battle, serving as the Division Provost Guard." (Source: Stone Sentinels)
"The sculptor was J. Henderson Kelly. He studied at the Pennsylvania Academy under Thomas Eakins from 1879 to 1882. He was a member of the Sketch Club from 1882 to 1884. Little is known of Kelly's life and works." (Source: The Philadelphia Sketchclub)
"The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative, the SIRIS site and my own observations offers the following description: Reclining figure of a fallen infantryman is installed on a long, rectangular pedestal and base. The figure lies at a farm fence in a rocky landscape. There is a polished trefoil, the corps insignia, on the front of the pedestal and a State Seal relief on the left face. It indicates the point from which the regiment drove the Confederates on the afternoon of July 2, 1863. The regiment held the position for about twenty minutes until forced to retire."
"The monument was installed in 1888 and dedicated Sept. 11, 1889 by the survivors of the regiment. The monument is composed of: Sculpture: granite; Base: granite with bronze relief. The monument's dimensions are: Sculpture: approximately 50 x 84 x 40 inches; Base: approximately W. 9 feet 6 inches x D. 5 feet 8 inches. The monument was fabricated by J. Henderson Kelley. There are brief inscriptions on all four sides, all of which read: (Front): 116th Pennsylvania Infantry 2nd Brig. 1st Div. 2nd Corps. (Back): 2nd Brigade. July 2, 1863 In action 142 officers and men, Killed and wounded 37 (Left): Irish Brigade. (Right): 1st Division." (Source:Waymarking)